My primary focus is video games. However, I also enjoy writing about movies, books, and TV shows.
Some of my favorite games are Dishonored, Smite, Apex Legends, and Pokemon.
A game review happens when I finish the game. A game review brings everything together. Some games will have a mini-review and a game review. Game reviews are scored out of 10. When I am scoring a game for a review, I score it off of these factors:
- Story: How does the story hold up from beginning to end?
- Side Quests: How are the side quests? Do they stand up?
- Concept and execution: Does the game concept hold up, and was it executed to the best of its abilities?
- Fun Factor: Was the game fun?
- Does the game offer replayability?
- Does it stay fun from start to finish?
- Does the game run?
- How does the game run? How many game-breaking bugs did I run into?
- I often touch on other things like:
- Character design.
- And more!
A mini-review typically happens before I finish the game or if a game is too short to warrant a long review. Mini-reviews are scored out of 5. Mini-reviews are scored off of these factors:
- Fun Factor: was the game fun to play?
- Design: Is the game design good? Did I enjoy it?
- Sound Design: Sound effects, music, and everything in between.
- Extras: Character design, best parts of the game, and other fun aspects of the game.
- How did it run? Did it crash often? Does it play well?: These are some of the things I think of when I deduct points.
Indie Game Spotlights
For an indie game to make it to the indie game spotlight section, it has to score a 4/5 on its mini-review. After that, I take another look at the game and examine it further. Any game has a chance of making it onto the indie game spotlight section regardless of when it was released or the platform it was released on.
- I rate movies out of 10.
- If I cover a series of movies, I consistently rate the series out of 20.
- I rate TV shows out of 10.
- Each season gets a review.
- Level Dives
- When I do a level dive, I pull the level out of the game itself. Sometimes bad games have good levels.
- I will not look at the game overall when considering the score for the level I am reviewing.